Who needs to know that you are moving house?

Are you moving house soon? Then you’ll need to start letting people know and informing them of your new address. We don’t just mean telling friends and family. You’ll also need to tell various companies and organisation about your move, from government bodies like HMRC and DVLA to your bank and employer. Failing to do so won’t just be highly inconvenient. It could also lead to late bill payments and in some cases even identity theft. Read on to find out who needs to know that you’re moving house.

So who needs to know that you are moving house?

Removals Leeds

Government bodies

You’ll need to inform several government bodies when you move house. As well as letting the HMRC and potentially the DWP know, you’ll also need to get in touch with your local authority. You should ask for a final statement for your council tax since you may be entitled to a refund.    

You will need to update the address on your driving licence. However, it’s best to wait until you’ve moved properly before contacting the DVLA. This is because many removals companies in Leeds and Wakefield may ask to see your driving licence as a form of identification when you hire their services. You’ll need to inform:

  • Department for Work and Pensions 
  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) 
  • DVLA
  • Electoral roll
  • Your local authority
  • TV Licensing 

Financial institutions 

As well as letting your bank and building society know you’re moving house, you’ll also need to inform other lenders. Telling your current account provider is particularly important since they may use your address to confirm your identity. You’ll need to tell: 

  • Banking providers
  • Savings account providers
  • Credit card providers
  • Store card providers
  • Pension companies

Insurance providers

Telling your insurance providers that you’re moving house is essential. Most insurers will use your postcode to determine the cost of your cover. So, if your new address is situated in an area that they consider higher risk, your premiums are likely to be greater. Similarly, if you’re moving somewhere that’s viewed as less risky, the cost of your insurance might be lower. They also need to know your address so they can get in touch with you or send you bills or offers. Insurance providers that you may need to inform include: 

  • Home/contents insurance
  • Life insurance
  • Health insurance
  • Travel insurance
  • Pet insurance

Utility providers 

Your utility suppliers will need to know when you move out of your home. You should tell them the precise date you’re moving out to ensure that you don’t receive a bill for utilities used after you’ve left the property. Take meter readings on moving day, ideally photographing them (with date stamps) to provide proof. Utility providers you’ll need to inform include:

  • Electricity
  • Gas
  • Water

Health services 

Various medical organisations will need to be informed of your new address. You should take steps to register at your new doctor’s surgery as soon as possible, as you may experience a delay when receiving treatment initially.  You’ll need to contact:

  • Your local GP surgery 
  • Dentist
  • Opticians 

Workplaces and schools

Don’t forget to tell your employer when you move house. They need to know your new address so they can update your contact details. They also require it for your payroll details. Your child’s school should also be notified when you move house. They’ll need your current address, particularly if you’re an emergency contact. Plus, since moving house can be difficult for children, it can be useful for their teachers to be aware. When you’re moving house, contact:

  • Your employer 
  • Your child’s school or college
  • Colleagues and alumni networks 


Leisure providers

If you’re moving out of town, you’ll need to inform any leisure providers. You’ll need to cancel certain subscriptions or activities if you’ll no longer be able to do them. You can do this either over the phone, email or by writing to them. Contact:

  • Clubs and societies
  • Gym or health club
  • Newspaper/magazine subscriptions
  • Gym/health club
  • Newspaper or magazine subscriptions
  • Clubs & societies

Redirect your post with Royal Mail

who needs to know that you are moving house.

If you’re concerned about your personal mail being sent to your old address when you move house, why not use Royal Mail’s Redirection service? This efficient service ensures that your post is sent to your new home, whether you relocating within the UK or abroad. When you use this service, you won’t need to worry about missing important documents or your private details falling into the wrong hands. Keep in mind that this service isn’t free. It will cost from £33.99 for three, six, or 12 months. To set up redirection of your mail, you’ll need the names and dates of birth of everyone who wants their post redirected, as well as the address and postcode of your old and new addresses.

Hire a local removals company

When you know when you’ll be moving, you’ll need to find a local removals company to help you relocate. At Darvills of Leeds, we’re one of the leading removals companies in Leeds and Wakefield. Over the years, we helped countless people to move house, both locally and further afield. So, whether your new house is in West Yorkshire or you’re moving to the other side of the country, you can rest assured that we can assist. Moving house can be a stressful process. However, with Darvills of Leeds by your side, it becomes a whole lot easier. We can provide expert guidance and support with every step of the way, helping you settle into your new in no time at all. 

Contact us 

We hope that this has answered the question for you on who needs to know that you are moving house. If you’d like a quote for professional removals in Leeds, contact Darvills of Leeds today. Phone us on 0113 436 0318 to discuss your requirements and arrange for a free pre-move survey to be carried out. You can also send us a message via the contact form on our website if you prefer. We’re on hand to answer all of your questions and queries.